« Rebuilding | Main | All is well. »

Linksys killed me

The Day of Hell.

Trying to get MS Messenger to work with shared apps this morning (yet again), I noticed that there was a bug in my Linksys cable router/WAP/switch thingy -- there was a problem on one of the web pages for trigger ports -- and I noticed on linksys.com that the next rev of firmware fixed this exact problem. So I downloaded and went through the install procedure, and BAM! It stopped responding about 1/3 of the way trough.


Needless to say, it was catatonic -- wouldn't respond to anything. I called tech support and went through their checklist, and sure enough -- it's dead. Of course the RMA folks are out until Monday. So I eventually went out and bought a D-Link router/WAP/switch. After a few false starts, I got it working and it seems pretty great (and $60 cheaper than the Linksys!). Seems to have a lot more functionality than the Linksys, too. We'll see how this goes.

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)


This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on January 4, 2003 9:08 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Rebuilding.

The next post in this blog is All is well..

Many more can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.

Powered by
Movable Type 3.34